- Review the elementary level educational specifications for the Bellingham Public Schools. These specifications are used to describe the district’s elementary school program; and
- Following the completion of the elementary educational specifications, review and provide feedback on schematic and design development drawings for the Alderwood Elementary rebuild project.
Basis for Establishment:
- Prior to designing a school, a complete and accurate description of the desired educational program, instructional activities, as well as the functional, spatial and environmental needs related to the school must be established. This detailed description is referred to as educational specifications. Educational specifications help clarify and direct the scope of work and design requirements for the architects, engineers, and other professionals working on the building design and site plan.
- We are a recommending body to the superintendent.
Plan of Work and Timeline:
- The committee will work with the architects on the educational specifications and design elements related to the school.
- Work on the educational specifications will begin in May 2018 and continue through the summer and fall. Schematic design for the new school will be completed by September 30, 2018.
- Initial joint meetings with the Parkview Elementary Educational Specifications and Design Advisory Committee to review the standard/districtwide educational specifications that apply to all new elementary schools in the District.
- Subsequent Alderwood Committee only meetings will focus on site/building specific unique items associated with the new Alderwood Elementary.
- 4-8 meetings (2 hours each) are anticipated for this phase of committee work.
- 1-3 initial meetings on Thursdays with the Parkview Elementary Educational Specifications and Design Advisory Committee. May 17, 31, and June 7; 3-5 p.m.
- Alderwood Committee only meetings will be held on Wednesdays June 13, 20 and 27; 3-5 p.m.
- Evening Community Meetings; dates and times TBD
- Additionally, 2-3 meetings during July and August may be necessary; dates and times TBD
- Timothy Black, Music Specialist
- Samuel Carlton, Kindergarten Teacher
- Jennifer Wilkinson, Second Grade Teacher
- Sarah DeWitt, Title I Teacher
- Doug Vit, Alderwood Custodian
- Eli Bankston, District Journeyman Carpenter
- Ricardo Sanchez, Parent
- Justus Peterson, Parent
- Leah Cuneo, Parent
- Sue Webber, Community Member
- Luis Camacho, Community Member
- Janice Biletnikoff, Park Planning and Development Coordinator for Bellingham Parks and Recreation
- Nicole Oliver, Parks Development Manager for Bellingham Parks and Recreation
- Moshe’ Quinn, Planner II for City of Bellingham
- Lynn Heimsoth, Sunnyland Principal
- Trina Hall, Director of Teaching and Learning
- Jay Jordan, Executive Director of Teaching and Learning
- Jacqueline Brawley, Executive Director of Communications and Community Relations
- Patrick Durgan, Executive Chef and Director of Food Services
- Bill Palmer, Director of Teaching and Learning – Technology Integration
- Kurt Gazow, Executive Director of Technology
- Jonah Stinson, Director of School Safety and Emergency Management
- Mike Anderson, Director of Buildings and Grounds
- Curtis Lawyer, Capital Projects Manager
- Julie Denton, Executive Secretary School Facilities and Capital Projects
- Micah Smith, Alderwood Principal, Co-Chair
- Ron Cowan, Executive Director of Capital Projects and School Facilities, Co-Chair
- Kelli Smith, Dykeman Architects
- Regular meeting attendance
- Respectful and collaborative interactions with committee members
- May 17, 2018 – Alderwood/Parkview Agenda Meeting 1, Minutes
- May 31, 2018 – Alderwood/Parkview Agenda Meeting 2, Minutes
- June 7, 2018 – Alderwood/Parkview Agenda Meeting 3, Minutes
- June 13, 2018 – Alderwood Agenda Meeting 4, Minutes
- June 20, 2018 – Alderwood Agenda Meeting 5, Minutes
- June 27, 2018 – Alderwood Agenda Meeting 6, Minutes
- Oct. 24, 2018 – Alderwood Agenda Meeting 7, Minutes, Project Summary, Handout, Alderwood Educational Specifications
- April 18, 2019 – Alderwood Agenda Meeting 8, Presentation
- Provide substitutes for staff as applicable