Purpose: A general advisory council (GAC) provides direction and guidance to administrators and teachers for the entire Career and Technical Education ( CTE) program offered by a district. This type of advisory group is usually formed at the secondary level to serve skills centers and high schools.
Basis for Establishment: To advise program director and teachers on improvements to CTE programs linking to career readiness in the following pathways: Business & Marketing/ Skilled and Technical Sciences STEM/ Agriculture & Family and Consumer Science/Health Sciences.
Decision-Making Process: The guidance and advice of local advisory council members helps ensure students are learning the most current skills needed in the workplace.
Plan of Work:
- Review annual CTE goals
- Support courses in advisory pathways / mentoring or direction
- Evaluate effectiveness of CTE programs with Program Evaluation Rubric.
- GAC Chair: Craig Lang, professional writer
- Jeff Tetrick, CTE Director & Co-chair
- Steve Addison, Bellingham Technical College
- Danny Bennett, Whatcom Goodwill
- David Bren, Washington Polytechnic Institute
- Priscilla Brotherton, Re-Sources
- Brandi Civico, Phillips 66
- Carla Conforto, WorkSource
- Jill Davishahl, Western Washington University
- Pat Draper, Community member/Culinary sub
- Robert Dyer, Pacific Injection Molding Corp.
- Rachel Garcia, WorkSource
- Danny Gusukuma, Alcoa Intalco Works
- Katherine Hendricks, Community member/sub/BPS volunteer
- Dana Hickenbottom, Western Solar
- Luke Holtgeerts, Veritas Media Productions
- Michael Jay, Educational Systemics, Inc.
- Gil Lund, Fives Lund LLC
- Brian Merris, Exxel Pacific General Contractors
- Lin Nelson, Whatcom Business Alliance
- Guy Occhiogrosso, Bellingham/Whatcom Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Cynthia Pierre, BP
- Laura Plaut, Common Threads Farm
- Kevin Smeall, Ershigs
- Martin Spencer, Marlin Engineering, Inc.
- Brian Weeda, Performance Physical Therapy
- CTE teachers and staff
- Provide information on expanding/improving programs
- Support partnerships between business/industry/community & education
- Make recommendations that will strengthen CTE curriculum
- Evaluate programs with Director assistance
Timeline: One Fall GAC Meeting and one Spring meeting.
- December 3, 2014 – Minutes
- June 2, 2015 – Minutes
- November 5, 2015 – Minutes
- May 25, 2016 – Minutes
- October 25, 2016 – Minutes
- May 23, 2017 – Minutes
- November 15, 2017 – Minutes
- May 22, 2018 – Minutes
- November 14, 2018 – Minutes, Presentation
- May 29, 2019 – Minutes
Budget Implications: Transparency with GAC on goals with federal and state funds.