- Analyze standards, instruction and assessment regarding PreK-12 world language instruction that focus on developing multilingual readers and writers as stated in The Bellingham Promise
- Meet two to three times a year to address issues related to world language standards, instruction and assessment, and professional development needs.
- Communicate findings to affected stakeholders.
Basis for Establishment:
- Increase opportunities for teachers, principals and Department of Teaching and Learning to collectively collaborate around the development of multilingual readers and speakers as stated in The Bellingham Promise.
- Create an ongoing process for addressing standards, instruction and assessment decisions, alignment and communication regarding world language instruction.
- Advise regarding needs and priorities in world languages.
- This group will make any necessary decisions based on consensus of those present and primarily serve in an advisory capacity to Department of Teaching and Learning and the superintendent.
Plan of Work:
- Convene committee to understand the scope of the work of the year (and ongoing).
- Understand how the Developing Multilingual Speakers and Writers advisory group relates to other teaching and learning advisory groups and The Bellingham Promise.
- Review recent research on best practices in world languages.
- Analyze current assessment data
- Examine current state, local and other related standards, assessments and instructional implications.
- Collect feedback from staff, students and parents, as needed.
- Rotating/staggered members: three year, two year and one year memberships will be established at each level, so that we can have an ongoing advisory group over time without losing momentum
- Miranda Savory, Alderwood
- Josie Estrada, Cordata/Birchwood
- Dominic Ghiradini, Fairhaven/Sehome
- Sally Unger, Shuksan
- Larissa Shuvalova, Shuksan
- Andrea Quigley, Teacher on Special Assignment
- Stephanie Korn, Director of Teaching and Learning, chair
- Communicate and make public all meeting agendas and minutes
- Director of Teaching and Learning shares outcomes with DTL team to surface potential impact on priorities across the system.
2016-17 School Year: All meetings are 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the District Office.
2015-16 School Year:
- The advisory group may recommend that a review committee be formed to address significant curricular needs.