A Message from the Department of Communications and Community Relations
Dear Families and Community,
We are excited to share the tentative 2018-19 school year calendar and key dates for 2019-20.
In collaboration with numerous stakeholders and partners, including the Bellingham Education Association (BEA), and based on feedback we received last year, we have made some modifications to next year’s calendar. These changes include a more compressed school year by starting closer to Labor Day and ending mid-June (barring any emergency closure that could extend the school year) and reducing the number of Staff Learning Fridays (also referred to as “Purple Fridays”) that are embedded during the school year.
The early dismissal schedule for elementary schools is the same as it has been the past two years with dismissal at 12:45 p.m. every Thursday. There are eight all school early dismissal days next year with middle schools dismissing at 12 p.m. and high school dismissing at 1:30 p.m.
We realize many of you make plans around our school calendar, and we appreciate your patience. We also wanted to share this calendar so we can continue our intentional planning for professional development for staff.
Calendar Details for 2018-19 school year
- The first day of school for grades 1 to 12 is Aug. 29, 2018. The first day of school for kindergarten is Aug. 30 (half day).
- The last day of school for all students is June 14, 2019.
- We expect to send a message about tentative graduation dates for the class of 2019 by August, if not sooner.
Key Dates for the 2019-20 school year
- Aug. 28, 2019: First day of school
- Sept. 2, 2019: No school/holiday
- Nov. 11, 2019: No school/holiday
- Nov. 28 to 29, 2019: No school/holiday
- Dec. 23, 2019 to Jan. 3, 2020: No school/holiday (winter break)
- Jan. 20, 2020: No school/holiday
- Feb. 17, 2020: No school/holiday
- April 6 to 10, 2020: No school/holiday (spring break)
- May 25, 2020: No school/holiday
Please see this webpage for this year’s calendar and information related to graduation dates for the class of 2018.