Students in the district are required to attend the school designated for the attendance area in which they reside. A parent or guardian may request that a student be allowed to attend another school in the district.
Grades K – 12 Procedures: The following procedures are to be followed for student attendance area transfer requests.
Transfer requests for the next school year will be accepted beginning Feb. 15 prior to the fall semester.
Review in Spring
- The parent/guardian obtains the Request for Student Attendance Area Transfer Form #3131F.
- Approved transfer requests are only valid for one school year. Transfer applications must be submitted and reviewed annually.
- The parent/guardian completes Transfer Request Form #3131F and submits the form to the neighborhood school if it is a new request and to the requested school if it is a continuing transfer request.
- Principals will meet in early spring to review requests received by March 1. Principals will meet to review the first round of transfer requests no later than March 15. Parents/guardians will be notified of the decisions by the end of March. Transfer requests may be held for review in fall. Administrators will use the following guidelines as they review transfer requests. They will determine whether:
- appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the student’s condition or opportunities as stated in requesting the transfer;
- space is available in the grade level or classes at the school in which the student desires to be enrolled;
- the transfer would allow siblings to attend the same school;
- the student’s transfer is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff at the new school;
- the student has discipline issues, chronic attendance problems, or is lacking academic progress;
- the school is able to adequately meet the needs of the student and/or family based on principal determination;
- the student is the child of a full-time certificated or classified employee who meets the qualifications for a transfer (ESSB 5142); and
- Receiving school principals will notify parents in writing of approved transfer decisions. Neighborhood/home school principal will notify parents in writing of denied transfer requests. If the request for transfer is denied, the parent or guardian may appeal to the deputy superintendent or designee for review of the decision.
- Appeals must be made in writing within 10 working days of the notification (e-mail, phone call, letter, etc.) of the denial of transfer.
- The decision on the appeal is final.
Review in Fall
- Principals will determine the number of places they have available, if any, for out of attendance area transfer students no later than the fifth day of school.
- Receiving school principals will notify parents in writing within one week of approved transfer decisions. Neighborhood/home school principal will notify parents in writing of denied transfer requests.
- If the request for transfer is denied, the parent or guardian may appeal to the deputy superintendent for review of the decision by the principals.
- The appeal must be made in writing within 10 working days of the notification (e-mail, phone call, letter, etc.) of the denial of transfer.
- The decision on the appeal is final.
Parents/guardians are responsible for providing transportation for all students who transfer between schools.
Lack of academic effort, poor attendance, excessive tardiness or discipline problems shall provide just-cause for the district to return a student to his/her attendance area school. Transfers of students back to their attendance area schools for any of these reasons will occur at the end of a term unless the time of transfer is mutually agreed upon by both the attendance area school and hosting school principals.
Duration of the transfer is for the designated school year only or a stated period of time of lesser duration. Acceptance of students who are the children of full-time employees will be for the duration of their schooling or until the parent is no longer an employee.