- To determine a new BHS mascot name (and possibly image).
- To develop and deliver educational activities on systemic racism to BHS students and community to promote a more inclusive environment.
Basis for Establishment:
- Nationwide social justice movement, desire to update mascot name to reflect more inclusive practices.
- Advisory committee gathers feedback and determines if A) mascot image remains as a bird and new name is chosen or B) both mascot name and image are changed.
- Students and staff give feedback on new name and new image if needed.
- Advisory committee makes final recommendations to Dr. Baker.
- Janis Velasquez Farmer, director of equity, diversity and inclusion, co-chair
- Linda Wise Miller, principal, Bellingham High School (BHS), co-chair
- Chad Larsen, BHS activity/athletics coordinator
- Ben Goodwin, BHS administrative intern and leadership teacher
- Eight BHS students
- Three BHS certificated staff members
- One BHS classified staff member
- Two community members
- Jay Jordan, assistant superintendent of teaching and learning
- Jackie Brawley, executive director of communications and community relations
- Attend meetings and engage in reflective conversations
- Participate in educational activities
- Gather and share feedback from stakeholder groups
Timeline/Plan of Work:
- Jan. 29 Deadline to apply for committee
- Feb 5 Committee members announced
- Committee Meeting Dates: Wednesdays, 3:30-4:45 p.m. (Additional dates may be added if necessary)
- Feb. 10, Feb. 17, March 17, March 31, April 21, May 12
- March 11-19 Educational efforts delivered to BHS students through advisory and other activities
- Community Meetings
- Students (Tuesday, March 23, 3:30-4:45 p.m.)
- Staff/Teachers/Coaches (Wednesday, March 24, 3:30-4:45 p.m.)
- Community Members (Thursday, March 25, 5:30-6:30 p.m.)
- March 31 Advisory Committee makes mascot image decision
- Month of April – Students and staff give feedback on mascot name and image if applicable
- May – Final recommendations given to Dr. Baker
- May – Mascot name and image announced to BHS community
- Feb. 10
- Feb. 17
- March 17
- March 31
- April 21
- May 12
- Design fee(s) for new mascot name and possibly new image.
- Expenditures to replace Red Raider name throughout building, outside athletic facilities, uniforms, etc.
- Additional costs if new image is chosen.
- ASB officers and leadership class are actively involved in developing, piloting, and delivering educational activities when appropriate.