- To determine a new BHS mascot name (and possibly image).
- To develop and deliver educational activities on systemic racism to BHS students and community to promote a more inclusive environment.
Basis for Establishment:
- Nationwide social justice movement, desire to update mascot name to reflect more inclusive practices.
- Advisory committee gathers feedback and determines if A) mascot image remains as a bird and new name is chosen or B) both mascot name and image are changed.
- Students and staff give feedback on new name and new image if needed.
- Advisory committee makes final recommendations to Dr. Baker.
- Janis Velasquez Farmer, director of equity, diversity and inclusion, co-chair
- Linda Wise Miller, principal, BHS, co-chair
- Chad Larsen, activity/athletics coordinator, BHS
- Ben Goodwin, administrative intern and leadership teacher, BHS
- Jay Jordan, assistant superintendent of teaching and learning
- Jackie Brawley, executive director of communications and community relations
- Tyler Dockins, ED Tech Coach, Kulshan
- Nicole Baker, Community Member
- Ellie Takemura, Community Member
- Kaycee French, Student
- Logan Foy, Student
- Farhad Variava, Student
- Jared Ibarra, Student Equity & Inclusion Coord., BHS, SHS, SQHS & SMS
- Grace Schamber, Student
- Olivia Grendon, Student
- Jon Knutsen, Coach, BHS
- Mark Wright, Teacher, BHS
- Owen Geis-Poage, Student
- Eric Bachmeier, Library Media Specialist, BHS
- Heather Steele, Teacher, BHS
- Elias Plaster, Student
- Annabelle Schudlich, Student
- Kaleb Payne, Student
- Attend meetings and engage in reflective conversations
- Participate in educational activities
- Gather and share feedback from stakeholder groups
Timeline/Plan of Work:
- Jan. 29 Deadline to apply for committee
- Feb 5 Committee members announced
- Committee Meeting Dates: Wednesdays, 3:30-4:45 p.m. (Additional dates may be added if necessary)
- Feb. 10, Feb. 17, March 17, March 31, April 21, May 12
- March 11-19 Educational efforts delivered to BHS students through advisory and other activities
- Community Meetings
- Students (Tuesday, March 23, 3:30-4:45 p.m.)
- Staff/Teachers/Coaches (Wednesday, March 24, 3:30-4:45 p.m.)
- Community Members (Thursday, March 25, 5:30-6:30 p.m.)
- March 31 Advisory Committee makes mascot image decision
- Month of April – Students and staff give feedback on mascot name and image if applicable
- May – Final recommendations given to Dr. Baker
- May – Mascot name and image announced to BHS community
- Feb. 10 Notes
- Feb. 17 Notes
- March 24 – Staff forum
- March 25 – Community forum
- March 31 – Committee Meeting
- Apr. 12 – All school assembly (Video)
- Engage BHS ASB Officers, the Leadership class, and students on task force to develop this video.
- Monday, Apr. 12: Introduction BHS Mascot Change – An Introductory Video – BSD 501 (wistia.com)
- Tuesday, Apr. 13: What Mascot History News Clip
- Wednesday, Apr. 14: Why (advisory) Settler-colonialism Presentation
- Thursday, Apr. 15: Change (advisory) Impact of Native American Mascots on Indigenous Peoples Presentation
- Friday, Apr. 16, 3:30-4:45 p.m. | Student forum
- Friday, Apr. 16: Student questionnaire opens
- Monday, Apr. 19th Student questionnaire closes at 12:00 pm
- April 21: Committee Meeting – Task Force makes mascot name change decision
- April 28: Committee Meeting
- May 5: Committee Meeting
- May 3-7: Additional feedback
- May 12: Committee Meeting – Discuss feedback and final recommendation draft
- Final recommendation given to Dr. Baker
- Design fee(s) for new mascot name and possibly new image.
- Expenditures to replace Red Raider name throughout building, outside athletic facilities, uniforms, etc.
- Additional costs if new image is chosen.
- ASB officers and leadership class are actively involved in developing, piloting, and delivering educational activities when appropriate.