- Provide input and process the design elements, equipment packages and related infrastructure associated with the new Central Kitchen.
Basis for Establishment:
- As a result of community support (from a bond and local foundations) and a national movement to healthier scratched cooked school meals, Bellingham Public Schools is moving towards a scratch cooking model to replace the current heat-and-serve model. We have committed to open the new Central Kitchen no later than the fall of 2019.
- Advisory to the superintendent regarding decisions related to design of the new Central Kitchen.
Plan of Work:
- Five to ten meetings during the day beginning in November 2017 and culminating in January 2018.
- Meet 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. weekly on November 15, 22, 29, December 6, 13, 20, January 3, 10, 17, and 24
- Work with project designers and consultants to develop recommended design elements, equipment packages and related infrastructure associated with the new Central Kitchen.
- Keep the Food Services Transition Team updated on the design process as needed.
- November 15 – Agenda, Presentation, Facility Design Team Working Outline, Good Food Promise, Menu Transition , Minutes
- November 22 – Agenda, Workshop 2 Presentation, Guiding Principles 1.0, Working Norms, Wish and Wonder, Minutes
- November 29 – Agenda, Workshop 3 Presentation, Guiding Principles 1.1, Bellingham Farm to School Promise, Updated Wish and Wonder, Key Programming Elements, Flow and Space Exercise Photos, Minutes
- December 6 – Agenda, Guiding Principles 1.2, Initial Central Kitchen Numeric Program, Key Equipment Elements , Key Equipment Elements Pictures, Initial Floor Plan, Minutes
- December 13 – Agenda, Guiding Principles 1.3, CK Floor Plan Option 1, CK Floor Plan Option 2, CK Floor Plan Option 3, CK Numeric Program 12-13-17, Minutes
- January 3 – Agenda, Guiding Principles 1.4, CK Floor Plan, CK Numeric Program 1-3-18, Workshop 6 Visioning Presentation, Minutes
- Ron Cowan, Executive Director, Capital Projects and School Facilities, Co-chair
- Patrick Durgan, Executive Chef and Director of Food Services, Co-chair
- Sue DeJong, Secretary, Food Services
- Marcy Brown, SEIU Food Services Representative
- Corinne Schenck, SEIU Food Services Representative
- Jessica Sankey, Wellness Director
- Curtis Lawyer, Capital Projects Manager
- Mike Anderson, Director, Buildings and Grounds
- Zach Ham, Associate Principal, Dykeman Architects
- Garrett Lennon, JLR Design Group
- Deon Richards, JLR Design Group
- Regular meeting attendance
- Respectful and collaborative interactions with committee members
- Possible substitute costs.
- Expenses will be paid from 2013 Bond funds.