- Review and gain common understanding of Washington State’s Comprehensive Sexual Health Education (CSHE) standards and requirements.
- Align current practices to new requirements.
- Selection of materials as needed.
- Create an implementation plan for aligned CSHE instruction.
Basis for Establishment:
- Per state law, all public schools must begin providing or planning to provide comprehensive sexual health education (CSHE) to all students by the 2022-23 school year. Instruction must be consistent with Health Education K-12 Learning Standards, which provide a framework for comprehensive instruction, and the provisions of RCW 28A.300.475(link is external). See also Senate Bill 5395.
- Review state screened, evidence-based curricula and through group consensus determine a recommendation for grades 4-12 for CSHE curriculum and instruction, in accordance with OSPI guidance.
- This is an advisory group to the superintendent.
Plan of Work:
- Establish committee norms and decision-making structures.
- Review new legislation/requirements and standards for Sexual Health.
- Review current practices, curricula and identify priorities.
- Create and use evaluation tool for reviewing curricula.
- Come to agreement on recommendation and rationale for curriculum selection for each grade band (grades 4-5, middle and high school).
- Develop recommendations by grade band and review for vertical alignment.
- Recommend specific lessons to be taught at each grade level.
- Develop recommendations for teacher professional development, parent education opportunities, and communication with families, staff and community.
- March 15 – First Task Force Meeting
- March 22 – Second Task Force Meeting
- March 29 – Third Task Force Meeting
- April 12 – Review Curricula Independently
- April 19 – Fifth Task Force Meeting
- April 26 – Sixth Task Force Meeting
- May 3 – Seventh Task Force Meeting – cancelled; see April 26 meeting notes for more information.
- May 10 – Eighth Task Force Meeting – cancelled; see April 26 meeting notes for more information
- Fall 2022 – meeting dates and times to be determined
- Ryan Jensema, Parent, Northern Heights, Squalicum
- Crystal Garcia, Parent, Parkview, Whatcom, Bellingham
- Julie Reimann, Parent, Kulshan, Bellingham
- Jim Graham, Community Member, Fairhaven, Sehome
- Megan Cooper, Community Member, Kulshan, Bellingham
- Michael Graham, Student, Sehome
- Haruna Aileen Gardner, Elementary Teacher, Parkview Counselor
- Andrea Quigley, Elementary Teacher
- Katelin Tremonte, Middle School Teacher, Shuksan
- Tanya Peckler, Middle School Teacher, Fairhaven
- Sidney Balfour, Middle School Teacher, Shuksan
- Kerry Harrison, High School Teacher, Squalicum
- Ryan Smith, High School Teacher, Sehome
- Megan Johnson, High School Teacher, Bellingham
- Doriane Gunnels, Migh School Teacher, Options
- Nikki Lockhart, Middle School Admin
- Laurel Peak, Director of Teaching & Learning, Athletics and Activities
- Kim Niederhauser, Director of Health Services
- Co-facilitator: Charisse Berner, Director for Teaching and Learning, Curriculum & Professional Learning
- Co-facilitator: Christine Hagstrom, Consultant, Cardea Services/WA Prep
- Trina Hall, Executive Director of Teaching and Learning
- Dana Smith, Assistant Director of Communications
- Attend meetings.
- Complete independent work between meetings.
- Act as a representative for selected group, including sharing information and collecting feedback.
- Give recommendation and rationale during consensus process.
- Weekly, 4 – 5:30 p.m. (4:30-6:30 p.m. for in person meetings)
- Tuesdays, March 15 – May 10
- Primarily virtual, with select meetings in person for ease of processing.
- Updated May 2022: the timeline for the task force was extended to fall 2022. Please see April 26 meeting notes for more information.
- Costs for compensation of certificated staff for task force participation outside of contracted day (or sub release if within contracted day), Estimate $8500, from existing DT&L budget.
- This task force will result in a recommendation that would include a budget proposal for the:
- Purchase of curricular materials for grades 4-12, as need is determined, Amount TBD, possible ABL request.
- Costs of professional development for teachers to support implementation, within existing DT&L budget.
- Task Force will be facilitated by Christine Hagstrom, Cardea Services.
- Implementation to take place for the 2022-23 school year.