- Gather advice regarding PreK-12 math instruction that is focused on developing mathematicians as stated in The Bellingham Promise.
- Meet two to three times a year to address issues related to math standards, instruction and assessment, and professional development needs.
- Communicate findings to affected stakeholders.
Basis for Establishment:
- To increase opportunities for teachers, principals and Department of Teaching and Learning to collectively collaborate around the development of mathematicians as stated in The Bellingham Promise.
- To create an ongoing process for addressing standards, instruction and assessment decisions, alignment and communication regarding math instruction.
- To advise regarding needs and priorities in math.
- This group will make any necessary decisions based on a consensus of those present and primarily serve in an advisory capacity to Department of Teaching and Learning and the Superintendent.
Plan of Work:
- Convene committee to understand the scope of the work of the year (and ongoing).
- Understand how the Developing Mathematicians advisory group relates to other Teaching and Learning Advisory groups and The Bellingham Promise.
- Review recent research on best practices in math.
- Analyze current assessment data.
- Examine current state, local and other related standards, assessments and instructional implications.
- Collect feedback from staff, students and parents, as needed.
2017-18 School Year – No meetings during the 2017-18 school year.
2016-17 School Year: All meetings are 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the District Office.
- March 14, 2017
- April 17, 2017
- Caren Pitsch, Alderwood Elementary
- Sarah Zeller, Alderwood Elementary
- Marca Kidwell-Babcock, Parkview Elementary
- Molly Foote, Wade King Elementary
- Megan Thygesen, Roosevelt Elementary
- Breann Hulford, Fairhaven Middle
- Tommy Lingbloom, Kulshan Middle
- Dustin Heaton, Shuksan Middle
- Lee Krancus, Whatcom Middle
- Scott Smartt, Bellingham High
- Ginger Thompson, Sehome High
- Elyse Slagle, Squalicum High
- Janie Overman, Teacher on Special Assignment
- Charisse Berner, Director of Teaching and Learning, Co-Chair
- Michelle Kuss-Cybula, Director of Teaching and Learning, Co-Chair
- Communicate and make public all meeting agendas and minutes
- Director of Teaching and Learning shares outcomes with DTL team to surface potential impact on priorities across the system.
- Developing Mathematicians meets three times per year. All meetings are held at the District Office.
- Substitute reimbursement for staff committee members to meet
- This committee’s recommendation will result in significant budget allocation requirements for the purchase of math materials as well as supporting professional development.