- Gather advice regarding PreK-12 Literacy instruction that is focused on developing Readers and Writers and Effective Communicators as stated in the Bellingham Promise.
- Meet two to three times a year to address issues related to literacy standards, instruction and assessment, and professional development needs.
- Communicate findings to affected stakeholders.
Basis for Establishment:
- To increase opportunities for teachers, principals and Department of Teaching and Learning to collectively collaborate around the development of readers, writers and effective communicators as stated in the Bellingham Promise.
- To create an ongoing process for addressing standards, instruction and assessment decisions, alignment and communication regarding literacy instruction.
- To advise regarding needs and priorities in literacy.
- This group will make any necessary decisions based on a consensus of those present and primarily serve in an advisory capacity to Department of Teaching and Learning and the Superintendent.
Plan of Work:
- Convene committee to understand the scope of the work of the year (and ongoing).
- Understand how the Developing Readers, Writers and Effective Communicators Advisory group relates to other Teaching and Learning Advisory groups and the Bellingham Promise.
- Review recent research on best practices in literacy.
- Analyze current assessment data.
- Examine current state, local and other related standards, assessments and instructional implications.
- Collect feedback from staff, students and parents, as needed.
- Rotating/staggered memberships: Three-year, two-year and one-year memberships will be established at each level, so that we can have an ongoing advisory group over time without losing momentum
- Eight elementary teachers: two PreK-1; two second or third grade teachers and two fourth or fifth grade teachers, one literacy intervention teacher from across the system.
- Four middle school teachers: one from each middle school. Ideally balancing for each grade level.
- Four high school teachers: representing different schools.
- Charisse Berner, Director of Teaching and Learning – Co-chair
- Dawn Christiana, Director of Teaching and Learning– Co-chair
- Communicate and make public all meeting agendas and minutes
- Director of Teaching and Learning shares outcomes with DTL team to surface potential impact on priorities across the system.
- 2017-18 School Year:
- February 15, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- April 25, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- June 6, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- 2016-17 School Year: All meetings are 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the District Office.
- 2015-16 School Year:
- The advisory group may recommend that a review committee be formed to address significant curricular needs.