- Gather advice regarding PreK-12 science instruction that is focused on developing Scientists as stated in the Bellingham Promise.
- Meet two to three times a year to address issues related to science standards, instruction and assessment, and professional development needs.
- Communicate findings to affected stakeholders.
Basis for Establishment:
- To increase opportunities for teachers, principals and Department of Teaching and Learning to collectively collaborate around the development of scientists as stated in the Bellingham Promise.
- To create an ongoing process for addressing standards, instruction and assessment decisions, alignment and communication regarding science instruction.
- To advise regarding needs and priorities in science.
- This group will make any necessary decisions based on a consensus of those present and primarily serve in an advisory capacity to Department of Teaching and Learning and the Superintendent.
Plan of Work:
- Convene committee to understand the scope of the work of the year (and ongoing).
- Understand how the Developing Scientists advisory group relates to other Teaching and Learning Advisory groups and the Bellingham Promise.
- Review recent research on best practices in science.
- Analyze current assessment data.
- Examine current state, local and other related standards, assessments and instructional implications.
- Collect feedback from staff, students and parents, as needed.
- Rotating/staggered memberships: Three-year, two-year and one-year memberships will be established at each level, so that we can have an ongoing advisory group over time without losing momentum
- Elementary teachers: Caren Pitsch, Alderwood; Lisa Conlon, Carl Cozier; John Livesey, Northern Heights; Brooke Wertz, Happy Valley
- Middle school teachers: Miguel Boriss, Fairhaven; Julie Bennett, Kulshan; Sarah Walker, Shuksan; Sam Stoner, Whatcom
- High school teachers: Jamie Yoos, Bellingham; Amy Hankinson, Sehome; Suzanna Laas, Squalicum
- Charisse Berner, Director of Teaching and Learning – Co-chair
- Michelle Kuss-Cybula, Director of Teaching and Learning– Co-chair
- Communicate and make public all meeting agendas and minutes
- Director of Teaching and Learning shares outcomes with DTL team to surface potential impact on priorities across the system.
2017-18 School Year – No meetings during the 2017-18 school year.
2016-17 School Year: All meetings are 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the District Office.
- Feb. 28, 2017 – cancelled due to snow, will be rescheduled
- April 11, 2017
2015-16 School Year: Teaching and Learning Advisory Group meets fall, winter and spring. All meetings are held at the District Office.
- January 13, Room 212, 4 to 6:30 p.m. – Minutes
- February 18, Room 205, 4 to 6 p.m.
2014-15 School Year: March- May 2015
- March 19, Room 212, 4 to 6:30 p.m.
- May 11, Board Room, 4 to 6:30 p.m.
- $5,000 – Curriculum rate paid to members (for attendance at Advisory Group meetings) and if needed, paid time for substantial tasks between meetings.
- The advisory group may recommend that a review committee be formed to address significant curricular needs.