- Determine a decision-making process to recommend an order for rebuilding Carl Cozier, Columbia, Roosevelt elementary schools.
- Define metrics to guide rebuilding decision.
- Establish rubric to weigh metrics.
- Recommend order for rebuilding three elementary schools.
Basis for Establishment:
- In February 2022, voters approved a bond measure charging Bellingham Public Schools with building a 15th elementary school and planning extensive rebuild projects for three existing elementary schools, Carl Cozier, Columbia, and Roosevelt. An initial step in the planning process is determining in which order to focus rebuild efforts. This committee will recommend a prioritization of values and an assessment of needs to allow the district to determine which school to rebuild first, second and third.
- Collaborative group processes will be utilized
- Recommendations will be made to the superintendent
Plan of Work:
- 4 to 6 p.m. May 2: Field trip to view 3 elementary schools planned for rebuild. Share demographic and descriptive data about each school. Collect “first impressions” qualitative data from work group members.
- 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. May 23: Share draft decision-making rubric and values for prioritization rooted in the Bellingham Promise.
- 4 to 5 p.m. May 31: Finalize recommendations for decision-making and order rebuild.
- May 2, 2022
- May 23, 2022
- June 20, 2022 (no agenda, committee worked on recommendation to superintendent)
- Jessica Sankey, Executive Director of Operations, co-chair
- Curtis Lawyer, Director of Capital Projects, co-chair
- Brian Smart, Capital Projects Manager
- Corey Ayers, Capital Projects Manager
- Jeff Coulter, Planning Principal on Special Assignment
- Ari Feeney, Carl Cozier Elementary Principal
- Minh Ngyuen, Columbia Elementary Principal
- Aaron Darragh, Roosevelt Elementary Principal
- Sarah Marshall, parent representative, Carl Cozier Elementary School
- Jen Sandoval, parent representative, Columbia Elementary School
- Kristin Schmit, parent representative, Roosevelt Elementary School
- Nicole Oliver, Director of Parks and Recreation
- Blake Lyon, Director of Planning
- Chad Schulhauser, City of Bellingham Public Works
- Mark Peterson
- Steve Murakami, OAC
- Jackie Brawley, executive director of communications and community relations
- Attend all meetings
- Adhere to group norms for collaborative process
- Contribute to and support the work group’s process and plan
- The work group will meet three times during spring 2022.
- The work group plans to submit a recommendation to the superintendent in June 2022.
- No anticipated impact to the general fund. Members will thoughtfully consider any impact on property owners re: future bond rates.