- Identify common needs and goals among the parents of students identified as Highly Capable
- Provide monthly district updates to parents regarding current Highly Capable service topics (clustering, differentiation, compacting, acceleration, etc.)
- Provide consistent opportunities for learning about relevant and timely issues/topics.
- Bring to the district’s attention existing and emerging issues expressed by parents at the school they represent.
- Serve as an advisory body that provides thought partnership and contributes to effective problem solving regarding Highly Capable.
Basis for Establishment:
- Increase opportunities for families across all schools to provide insight and collaborate around topics relevant to students identified as Highly Capable.
- To continue to provide feedback on the implementation of the Program Review recommendation from 2013-14.
- This group serves in an advisory capacity supporting district efforts in Highly Capable.
Plan of Work:
- Review and refine annual goals for implementation of Program Review recommendation.
- Develop and provide feedback on long range plan for supporting professional development and implementation of the Program Review recommendation.
- Additional Director(s)
- One principal from elementary and middle school
- One representative from the Highly Capable Parent Association
- One parent representative per school
- One parent representative for Running Start Highly Capable Students
- District psychologist involved in Highly Capable process
- Deputy superintendent or designee
- Co-chairs: Trina Hall, Jessica Sankey and Keith Schacht, Directors of Teaching and Learning
- Attend Meetings
- Actively participate representing larger school voice
Central Services – 1306 Dupont Street, Bellingham, WA 98225
Check in with reception for room assignment.
- There will be an occasional need to cover the cost of a substitute for teachers to attend
- Potential costs associated with special guest speakers