- Implement administrative policy and procedure 2020.
- Establish and/or update instructional materials screening criteria.
- Identify and eliminate bias in instructional materials.
- Act upon requests for instructional materials approval and removal.
- Act upon citizen/staff requests for reconsideration of instructional materials.
- Communicate and make public all meeting agendas and minutes.
- Make recommendations to the superintendent per policy and procedure.
Basis for Establishment:
- To assure a clear process and procedure for the approval, reconsideration and removal of instruction resources per policy and procedure 2020 and state laws RCW 28A.150.230 and RCW 28A.320.230.
- Microsoft Forms ballots will be used for materials presented for action at meetings. A quorum is preferred and in the case where a quorum is not available, members may be invited to vote by proxy. The IMC serves as an advisory to the superintendent.
Plan of Work:
- Act upon requests of staff for approval, reconsideration or removal of instructional resources.
- Director of Teaching and Learning shares agenda items with the Department of Teaching and Learning (DTL) prior to the IMC meeting.
- Director of Teaching and Learning shares outcome of the IMC meeting with DTL team following IMC meeting.
- Present recommendation to the superintendent.
- This committee uses rotating, staggered memberships. Three-year, two-year and one-year memberships will be used so that new members join with those who have experience with the policy and procedure. Vacancies will be filled based on the term-length that was vacated.
- Primary teachers: 1.Open, 2. Open
- Intermediate teachers or resource teachers: 1. Open, 2. Open
- Middle school teachers or resource teachers: 1. Abby Atkins, Fairhaven Middle School, 2. Open
- High school teachers or counselor: 1. Maryann Kuhn, Bellingham Family Partnership Program, 2. Open
- Elementary library media specialist: Kristin Cleary, Silver Beach Elementary
- Middle school library media specialist: Open
- High school library media specialist: Open
- School administrators: 1. Open, 2. Martin Atkins, Bellingham High School
- Parents/community members: 1. Christopher Bye, Geneva Elementary, 2.Open, 3.Johann Neem, Shuksan Middle School and Bellingham High School
- Executive Team member: Mike Copland, Deputy Superintendent, Ex-officio
- Chair: Charisse Berner, Director of Teaching & Learning
2022-23 School Year: All meetings are 4:15-6:00 pm via Zoom
- Oct 4, 2022
- Nov 15, 2022
- Feb 21, 2023
- May 23, 2023
2021-22 School Year:
- Nov 15, 2021 Canceled, school closure flooding
- Nov 22, 2021
- Jan. 10, 2022
- Feb 28, 2022
- April 18, 2022
- May 23, 2022
2020-21 School Year
No IMC meetings held during the 2020-21 school year due to pandemic
2019-20 School Year: All meetings are 4:15 – 5:30 pm at the District Off – canceled
- May 18, 2020 – canceled
2018-19 School Year: No Meetings
2017-18 School Year: No Meetings
2016-17 School Year: All meetings are 4 to 6 p.m. at the District Office
- March 13, 2017
- May 22, 2017
- June 12, 2017
2015-16 School Year – All meetings are 4 to 6 p.m. at District Office Room 205
- March 28, 2016 – Meeting Cancelled
- April 26, 2016 – Establish committee purpose; understand policy, procedure and state regulations; review committee/teacher forms
- May 9, 2016 – Act upon staff recommendation of staff for approval of resources.
- June 7, 2016 – Act upon staff recommendation of staff for approval of resources.
- Review meeting materials (including reading some proposed items such as novels) prior to meetings when made available, attend meetings and vote on recommendations.
- 2015-16 school year: one meeting to establish committee purpose; additional meetings as needed to receive materials recommendation from schools and/or team(s) and/or any requests for reconsideration.
- 2016-17 and beyond: IMC meets quarterly/as needed. Meeting schedule developed and communicated to the members and on this site.