Review student, staff, parent and community feedback gathered during the new Sehome High School Visioning Process conducted during early November 2015;
Use the feedback and The Bellingham Promise to develop Educational Specifications for the new Sehome High School;
Review and provide feedback on schematic and design development elements for the new Sehome High School.
Basis for Establishment:
Voters approved a bond on November 5, 2013 that includes funding for replacing the existing Sehome High School with a new facility.
Prior to designing a school, a complete and accurate description of the desired goals and requirements associated with the educational program and instructional activities need to be developed. In addition, the functional, spatial and environmental needs related to the various spaces in the school must be established. This information is then used to develop a set of building design characteristics that establish the ways the new facility supports the educational program. All of this information becomes a formal written document called Educational Specifications. The Educational Specifications help clarify and direct the scope of work and design requirements for the architects, engineers, and other professionals working on the building design and site plan.
- Advisory to the superintendent.
Plan of Work:
Approximately 10 regular committee meetings are anticipated (see below).
2:45 – 4:45 p.m. at Sehome High School
Possible additional meetings may be required based on committee needs.
In addition to regular committee meetings, 1 or 2 full day site visits to recent new high schools are likely.
1 or more evening Community Project Update meetings will also be scheduled as committee work progresses.
Work will begin November 17 with draft Educational Specifications and initial schematic designs to be completed no later than late May 2016.
A written recommendation to the superintendent will be prepared no later than June 1, 2016.
- Michelle Kuss-Cybula, Sehome High School Principal, Co-Chair
- Steve Clarke, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning, Co-Chair
- Ron Cowan, Executive Director, Capital Projects and School Facilities, Co-Chair
- Tim Jewett, Dykeman Architect
- Zach Ham, Dykeman Architect
- Pete Dawson, Dawson Construction
- Jeremy Carroll, Dawson Construction
- Jon Tesarik, Dawson Construction
- Curtis Lawyer, Capital Projects Manager
- Julie Denton, Executive Secretary of Capital Projects and School Facilities
- Grace Schubeck, Fairhaven Student
- Oliver Trulock, Sehome Student
- Gus Diehl, Sehome Student
- Melissa Ashby, Sehome, Fairhaven and Wade King Parent
- Mark Peterson, Sehome and Geneva Parent
- Rachel Williams, Sehome and Fairhaven Parent
- Kathy Hasenjaeger, Sehome Community Member
- Gail Knops, Sehome Community Member
- Jeff Allen, Sehome Custodian
- Corinne Schenck, Sehome Cooking Cluster Manager
- Martha Zender, Sehome Career/Vocational Guidance Assistant
- Kevin Criez, Sehome Technology Teacher
- Colin Cushman, Sehome Activities and Athletics Coordinator
- Amy Hankinson, Sehome Science Teacher
- Kevin Johnson, Sehome Dean of Students
- Kacy Keck, Sehome Special Education Teacher
- Dana Smith, Sehome English Teacher
- Craig Snyder, Band/Social Studies Teacher
- Mike Haberman, Director of Teaching and Learning, Special Education
- Kurt Gazow, Executive Director of Technology
- Jonah Stinson, Director of School Safety and Emergency Management
- Mike Anderson, Director of Building and Grounds
- Mark Dalton, Director of Food Services
- Kristi Dominguez, Director of Early Childhood Education
- Jeff Tetrick, Director of Career and Technical Education
- Jacqueline Brawley, Communications Executive Director
- Regular meeting attendance
- Respectful and collaborative interactions with committee members
- November 17, 2015, 2:45 p.m. to 4:45 p.m., Sehome High School – Minutes, Presentation
- December 1, 2015 –Minutes
- January 5, 2016 – Minutes
- January 19, 2016- High School Tours – (Lynwood High School, Issaquah High School, North Creek High School, Glacier Peak High School)
- February 2, 2016 – Minutes
- February 16, 17, 18, 2016- Focus Group Meetings.
- March 1, 2016 – Minutes, Presentation
- March 15, 2016 – Minutes, Presentation
- March 29, 2016 – Minutes, Presentation
- April 12, 2016 – Minutes, Presentation
- April 26, 2016 – Minutes, Presentation
- May 10, 2016 – Minutes, Presentation
- May 24, 2016 – Community Meeting Minutes, Committee Meeting Minutes, Presentation
- November 16, 2016- Minutes, Site and Building Modifications 11-16-16, Sehome Design Advisory Presentation (SD2.0) 11-16-16
- May 1, 2017 – Minutes, Sustainability Sub-Committee
- May 24, 2017 – Minutes, Sustainability Sub-Committee
Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed.
- Provide substitutes for staff as applicable
- Site tour expenses