The committee gathers data and stakeholder input regarding certificated staff work calendars, student school year start/end dates, and holiday break schedules. The committee uses this data to develop calendar options and to make a recommendation to the superintendent and BEA president for an annual school calendar.
Basis for Establishment
The BEA/District collective bargaining agreement requires establishment of the committee and spells out parameters for the decision-making process. The agreement also outlines the process for gathering data from a range of constituent groups, including classified staff and families.
Standing Contractual Committee
The committee convenes as needed to develop and adopt the school calendar. Generally, the committee meets five to six times during the year, from October through February. The committee will begin the cycle for development and recommendation of the 2014-15 school calendar in November 2013. As they become available, timelines and stakeholder feedback forms will be available on the district website.
- Nov. 26, 3:45 to 5 p.m. – Meeting Minutes
- Dec. 10, 3:45 to 5 p.m. – Meeting Minutes
- Additional meeting dates to be determined.
- Rachel Williams, Parent Representative
- Lauren Gibb, Student Representative
- Shirley Potter, BEA President
- Stan Kreft, teacher, Squalicum High School
- Nadine Gfroerer, teacher, Whatcom Middle School
- Susan Pevonak, teacher, Columbia Elementary School
District Administrative Representatives
- Analisa Ficklin, Principal, Wade King Elementary School
- Jay Jordan, Principal, Shuksan Middle School
- Jeff Vaughn, Principal, Bellingham High School
- Bob Kuehl, Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources
- Rob McElroy, Executive Administrator, Dept. of Teaching and Learning
- Tanya Rowe, Executive Director, Communications and Community Relations