- Review issues regarding school readiness of students and gaps for some children.
- Develop a plan for moving to all-day kindergarten in all schools over a three-year period, beginning in 2008-09 with Phase I schools.
Basis for Establishment:
• Included as a target in the district’s strategic plan.
• Requested by Superintendent and Approved by Board of Directors.
Decision Making Process:
• Consultative to the Superintendent and Board. We will be making recommendations regarding providing an all day kindergarten program.
• Consensus will be used for internal decisions during the on going work of the Task Force.
• Input and feedback from parents, staff, and administrators will be formally solicited during the process.
Plan of Work:
• Review existing kindergarten and KIDs programs.
• Review the research on early childhood education/all-day K/preschool programs.
• Analyze the implications of implementing an all-day K program, including staffing, curriculum, funding, facilities, transportation, professional development, public relations, and community interest in early childhood education.
• Identify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to the initiative and the resources needed to implement the plan.
• Draft proposed recommendations, including communication plan and present for public review.
• Revise recommendations and present to superintendent for review and board consideration.
- Hugh Allan
- Wendy Barrett
- Nicole Brown
- Julie Craddock
- Susan D’Amelio
- Patricia Dubiel
- Trina Hall
- Stephanie Johnson
- Stephanie Korn
- Ruby Linscheid
- Paula McGrath
- Susan Mulligan
- Gary Namba
- Nina Richardson
- Donna Ringwald
- Kyla Stefani
- Karen Tolliver
- Susan Zoller
• Attend meetings, actively and appropriately participate in meetings, and review committee materials.
• Abide by group norms for behavior, as described in application/letter of interest.
• Do “homework,” as agreed to by group.
• Develop and support final recommendations.
• Board approval for Task Force – November 8, 2007
• Accept applications for membership – closing November 22, 2007
• Convene group for meetings 2x/month
• Draft recommendations for public review in March
• Present final recommendations to superintendent in April
- December 20, 2007 – Minutes
- January 10, 2008 – Minutes
- January 24, 2008 – Minutes
- February 7, 2008 – Minutes
- February 21, 2008 – Minutes
- March 6, 2008 – Minutes
- March 27, 2008 – Minutes
- Issues and Questions
- Budget implications may include FTE, instructional resources, facility, and professional development. These issues will be reviewed and presented as part of the plan for the multi-year implementation.