- Develop a vision and plan for implementing a family partnership program.
- Identify the needs and interests of the Bellingham community in establishing a family partnership program.
- Recommend starter program model and long-range plan.
- Be inclusive of stakeholders that includes families, community members and district staff.
Basis for Establishment:
- New family partnership program for Bellingham Public Schools initiated in support of The Bellingham Promise
- Approximately 400 families currently within the Bellingham Public Schools boundaries are identified as homeschooling, many of which are working with other districts with similar family partnership programs
- The Promise has some central tenets regarding serving all families in our community and espousing innovation and flexibility; a family partnership program will support these goals
- Advisory Group
- Principal makes recommendations to the superintendent
Plan of Work
- Meet six times, Tuesdays from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Visit 5 to 6 existing exemplar programs
- Adjust meeting dates and times as needed
Meeting Dates: Members will need to be available for approximately 5 to 6 meetings from 4 to 6 p.m.
October 21 – Minutes 
- Bellingham parent/guardian representatives: Sean Hopps, Kierin Lund, Glenn Thomas, Alina Zollfrank
- Community representatives/agencies: Janet Mock-WWU, Laura Plaut-Common Threads, Heather Powell-Boys and Girls Club, Sam Lockwood-Pre-K-22 Practitioner
- Current district staff – classified and certificated: Courtney Sawyer-Para Educator, Larisa Shuvalova- ELL Specialist, Patty Keene-Classroom Teacher
- Michelle Kuss-Cybula, Staff member of Department of Teaching and Learning
- Byron Gerard, Principal, Options High School/Innovative Secondary Program
- Rob McElroy, Co-Chair, Executive Administrator
- Kate Baehr, Co-Chair, Principal, Family Partnership Program
- Attend established meetings
- Visit and report to committee members following a visit to exemplar programs
- Assist in identifying the needs and interests of the Bellingham families currently in homeschooling
- Build an understanding of the rules, regulations and responsibilities of a family partnership program in the state of Washington
- Publicize a call for committee members in September
- Committee members identified in September
- Meetings and field trips to occur October through December
- Release time for Bellingham Public Schools staff for meetings and field trips
- Travel and accommodations to field trips