- Provide input and recommendations for the design elements (e.g. field markings, lighting, fencing, seating, etc.) associated with synthetic turf field installations at Bellingham (BHS) and Squalicum (SQHS) high schools.
- Provide input and recommend the type of turf and infill material for new synthetic turf fields at Bellingham, Squalicum and Sehome high schools.
- Help communicate and gather input from stakeholders including staff, neighbors, community members and parents.
Basis for Establishment:
As part of the bond approved by voters on Nov. 5, 2013 some existing grass fields at Bellingham and Squalicum high schools will be replaced with new synthetic turf fields (Phase 1). A future bond issue will replace the remaining grass fields at Bellingham and Squalicum with new synthetic turf fields (Phase 2).
- BHS Phase 1: The existing grass PE/soccer field located south of the tennis courts and north of the softball/baseball fields will be replaced with a new synthetic turf field. A possible additional tennis court will also be constructed if funds allow. (Phase 2 will replace the existing grass baseball, softball, PE/soccer/football fields with new synthetic turf following the passage of a future bond issue.)
- SQHS Phase 1: The existing grass PE/soccer/football field located adjacent to the lower parking lot will be replaced with a new synthetic turf field. The existing synthetic surface running track surrounding the existing field will receive a new synthetic surface. A possible tennis training wall will be constructed if funds allow. (Phase 2 will replace the existing grass baseball, softball, PE/soccer/football fields with new synthetic turf following the passage of a future bond issue.)
- SHS, when rebuilt, will receive new PE, football, soccer, baseball, and softball fields as well as a new running track.
- Advisory to the superintendent.
Plan of Work and Timeline:
- Meet five times from December to February.
- December 17, 2015 (2:30-4); January 6, 2016; January 20, 2016; February 3, 2016; February 17, 2016
- At least one meeting date will include an all day tour of existing synthetic turf fields in Bellingham and/or the Puget Sound area.
- Host input meeting(s) or gather feedback in January/February as needed on draft recommendations.
- Make recommendations to superintendent by February 26, 2016.
- Begin field construction at BHS and SQHS as early as late spring 2016 with fields completed as early as fall 2016. (Construction could move to 2017 if necessary).
- Sehome’s fields will be completed during the new school construction process by fall 2019.
Meeting Dates/Minutes: 2:45 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- December 17, 2015 (2:30-4 p.m.) – Minutes – Presentation
- January 6, 2016- Minutes (minutes also include presentation from Dr. Greg Stern from the Whatcom County Health Department)
- January 20, 2016 – Turf Fields Tour
- February 3, 2016 – Minutes (minutes also include presentation from Stewart Mhyre, Executive Director-Business & Operations from Edmonds School District)
- February 17, 2016 – Minutes
- February 24, 2016 – Project Update Community Meeting,
- February 24, 2016 – Minutes (Commitee Meeting) Recommendation
- Steve Clarke, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning, Co-Chair
- Ron Cowan, Executive Director, Capital Projects/School Facilities, Co-Chair
- Curtis Lawyer, Capital Projects Manager
- Julie Denton, Executive Secretary, Capital Projects/School Facilities
- James Everett Squalicum Principal
- Jeff Vaughn, Bellingham Principal
- Lisa Hust, Communications Technician
- Jonah Stinson, Director of School Safety and Emergency Management
- Matthew Read, Lead Utility/Grounds, Buildings and Grounds
- Patrick Brown, Squalicum Activities and Athletics Coordinator
- Colin Cushman, Sehome Activities and Athletics Coordinator
- Chad Larsen, Bellingham Activities and Athletics Coordinator
- Ted Flint, Bellingham Head Football Coach, Science and Physical Education Teacher
- David Kish, Squalicum Head Girls Soccer Coach and Math Teacher
- Kay Reilly, Squalicum Marching Band Teacher
- Kevin Ryan, Sehome Head Cross Country Coach, Head Track & Field Coach, & Social Studies Teacher
- Steve Benner, Squalicum Parent
- Greg Hatch, Sports/Enrichment Manager, Bellingham Parks and Recreation
- Gary Hodge, Bellingham Parent and WWU Outdoor Maintenance Supervisor
- Brian Keeley, Shuksan Parent
- Molly McAtee, Bellingham Parent
- Amber Pitton, Whatcom and Roosevelt Parent
- Brian Weeda, Squalicum Parent and Owner Performance Physical Therapy
- Nick Knutson, Bellingham High School Student Athlete
- William Swanson, Kulshan Middle School Student Athlete
- Bob Harding, D.A. Hogan and Associates
- Jeff Burke, D.A. Hogan and Associates