- Review information to include observations and recommendations from outside consultant’s program review.
- Create and support a Highly Capable vision, mission and program to recommend for fall 2014 implementation.
Basis for Establishment:
- Implementation of the new policies and procedures servicing K-12 Highly Capable Learners Legislation WAC 392-170-012
- Align program needs to support The Bellingham Promise
- Advisory group to the superintendent.
Plan of Work:
- Convene committee to discuss the work of the year and review the results from the program review
- Research best practices serving Highly Capable Learners and take into consideration:
- Identification Processes
- Testing Criterion
- Highly effective service models
- Identify and prioritize program needs
- Establish a vision, mission and plan to support the Highly Capable Program aligned to the law and students’ needs
- Draft implementation plan and timeline to support the committee’s recommendations
- Submit recommendation and proposed plan to the superintendent.
Total of 18 committee members:
- 5 Teachers: Dana Smith, Kris Carpenter, Michael Finley, Jeff Jacobs, Rachel Smith
- 3 administrators: Keith Schacht, Michelle Abernathy, Kate Baehr
- 1 English Language Learners (ELL) specialist, Lori Radvany
- 4 Parent Representatives: Haley Davis, Veronica Douglas, Laurene Rusing, Rebekah Sharf
- 1 Executive Team Member, Mike Copland
- Co-chairs Michelle Kuss-Cybula, Director of Teaching and Learning, and Adrienne Somera and Susan Cotton, Teachers on Special Assignment.
- Regular meeting attendance at all committee meetings
- Support the process
- Represent all students in Bellingham Public Schools
- Respectful and collaborative interactions with committee members
- Co-chairs will communicate and post all meeting agendas and minutes, and keep stakeholders informed regarding process and progress
- 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2013 – Minutes
- 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013 – Minutes
- 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014 – Minutes
- 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014 – Minutes
- 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014 – Minutes
- Substitutes will be provided for participating staff release time