- Develop a plan for providing instruction in world languages in grades K-12 in the Bellingham School District.
Basis for Establishment:
- New high school graduation requirements approved by the Board of Directors.
- Requested by Superintendent and Approved by Board of Directors November 8, 2007.
Decision Making Process:
- Consultative to the Superintendent and Board. We will be making recommendations regarding the K-12 world language curriculum offerings and program.
- Consensus will be used for internal decisions during the on going work of the Task Force.
- Input and feedback from students, parents, staff, and administrators will be formally solicited during the process. Community input will be solicited on the draft recommendations.
Plan of Work:
- Review existing world language opportunities for students.
- Review new graduation requirements.
- Identify issues and research on language acquisition K-12.
- Explore effective programs and practices.
- Develop a plan/proposal to implement world language programs K-12, including staffing, curriculum, funding, professional development, public relations, and community interest in world languages.
- Identify the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to the initiative and the resources needed to implement the plan.
- Draft proposed recommendations, including communication plan, and present for public review.
- Revise recommendations and present to superintendent for review and board consideration.
Task Force Membership:
- April Boyden
- Sherrie Brown
- Sean Cooper
- Kristin Denham
- Robin Gilster
- Katie Gomez
- Janae Hodge
- Brend Holma
- Mary Hooker
- Bobbie Jaffe
- Gail Knops
- Stan Kreft
- Lois Longwood
- Rob McElroy
- Deirdre O’Neill
- Evan Ritchie
- Betsy Rocks
- Elizabeth Sanchez
- Anita Sassen
- Sabine Sloley
- Sally Unger
- Sharon Voth
- Elizabeth Wright
- Susan Zoller
- Attend meetings, actively and appropriately participate in meetings, and review committee materials.
- Abide by group norms for behavior, as described in application/letter of interest.
- Do “homework,” as agreed to by group.
- Develop and support final recommendations to superintendent/Board.
- Develop a final report.
- Board approval for Task Force – November 8, 2007
- Accept applications for membership – closing November 22, 2007
- Convene group for meetings 2x/month
- Draft recommendations for public review in March
- Present final recommendations to superintendent in April
Budget implications will include FTE, instructional resources, facility, and professional development. These issues will be reviewed and presented as part of the plan for the multi-year implementation.
December 18, 2007 – Minutes
January 8, 2008 – Minutes
January 22, 2008 – Minutes
February 5, 2008 – Minutes
March 4, 2008 – Minutes
April 2, 2008 – Minutes
April 15, 2008 – Minutes
April 24, 2008 – Minutes
June 19, 2008 – Recommendations from K-12 World Language Task Force