- Consider schedule possibilities that best serve the needs of students at the middle level to begin as early as fall 2016.
- Review and consider the impact of the current middle school teaming model (students and teachers grouped in teams) connected to class size.
- Weigh the pros and cons of continuing this model as part of the recommendation.
Basis for Establishment:
- By aligning schedules at our four middle schools and extending the school day by 30 minutes, students would have more elective opportunities in support of The Bellingham Promise’s whole child approach.
- Present, discuss and prioritize a variety of schedule options eventually reading consensus on a schedule that best serves students.
- Present schedule proposal to executive team and recommendation to Superintendent Greg Baker.
Plan of Work:
- Provide more opportunities for students through increased enrichment/exploratory program offerings (world language, music, art, tech…)
- Maintain middle level philosophy
Increase collaboration time for teachers
- Ensure we have space and resources resulting for proposed schedule
- Consider late ending time of current schedule
- Examine Response to Intervention to determine efficiencies and best practices
- Jennifer Cowan, Counselor, Shuksan
- Jeannie Hayden, Principal, Kulshan
- Robert Kalahan, Principal, Fairhaven
- Laura Davis, Registrar, Whatcom
- Jeanne Bach, Secretary (to Asst. Principal), Kulshan
- Bryan Berreth, Teacher – Math, Kulshan
- Breann Hulford, Teacher – Math/RtI, Fairhaven
- Robert Knickrehm, Teacher – Math/Science, Whatcom
- Randy Holmes, Teacher – Science, Whatcom
- Josh Meese, Teacher – P.E., Whatcom
- Stephanie Strow, Teacher – Social Studies, Shuksan
- James Walsh, Teacher – Special Education, Whatcom
- Ronni Weston, Teacher – Special Education, Kulshan
- Morgan Schwab, Teacher – Music, Fairhaven/Whatcom
- Sally Unger, Teacher – Spanish, Shuksan
- Tom Kunesh, Parent, Whatcom
- Holly Miller, Parent, Kulshan
- Co-Chair, Mike Copland, Deputy Superintendent, Central Services
- Co-Chair, Steve Clarke, Asst. Superintendent, Central Services
- Regular meeting attendance
- Respectful and collaborative interactions with group members
Timeline: All meetings take place from 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. at District Office in Room 205
- Oct. 23, 2014 – Minutes
- Nov. 7, 2014 – Minutes
- Nov. 20, 2014
- Dec. 5, 2014
- Dec. 19, 2014 – Summary, Teaming Document, FMS Draft Schedule, FMS Draft Enrichment Schedule, Sample Middle Level Schedule
- Jan. 16, 2015
Consider staffing implications, ensuring hiring timeline and FTE allows for quality staff to be hired into proposed positions.