- Review and update the visioning document that was created with feedback from students and staff as a guide for the design of a small secondary school/academy/learning center.
- Develop educational specifications for a new secondary learning center that includes Options High School. The center will be located at 2015 Franklin Street in place of the existing portables that have served Options students since 1994 and the adjacent district warehouse space.
- Following the completion of the educational specifications, review and provide feedback on schematic and design development drawings for the learning center.
- The new facility will include a variety of schools and/or programs including Options High School, GRADS program, and Career and Technical Education that will serve secondary (middle and high school) students independently or in cooperation with one another.
Basis for Establishment:
- Voters approved a bond on Nov. 5, 2013 that includes funding this project.
- As part of designing a school, a complete and accurate description of the desired educational program, instructional activities, as well as the functional, spatial and environmental needs related to school must be established. This detailed description is referred to as educational specifications. Educational specifications help clarify and direct the scope of work and design requirements for the architects, engineers, and other professionals working on the building design and site plan.
- Advisory to the superintendent.
Plan of Work:
- 6 – 10 (half or full day) committee meetings are anticipated.
- 2:45 – 4:45 p.m. Beginning Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2015 and approximately every other week.
- Work will begin Feb. 24, 2015 with schematic designs to be completed by June 30, 2015.
Meeting Dates: All meetings held at Options High School from 2:45 to 4:45 p.m. unless noted otherwise.
- February 24, 2015 Minutes Aerial View “Our Story” Site Map
- March 11, 2015 Minutes
- March 13, 2015 (optional) Minutes
- March 25, 2015 Minutes
- April 14, 2015 Minutes – Guiding Principles
- April 21, 2015 Minutes
- May 1, 2015 (Study Tour)
- May 4, 2015 Minutes
- May 13, 2015 Minutes
- May 27, 2015 Minutes
- June 10, 2015 Minutes
- June 12, 2015 Focus Groups Notes
- June 17, 2015 Neighborhood Update Meeting 6 p.m. Options High School Portable F Minutes Presentation
- June 17, 2015 Minutes
- Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed.
- Ron Cowan, Co-Chair – Assistant Superintendent, Finance & Operations
- Byron Gerard, Co-Chair – Principal, Options
- Mike Anderson – Director, Buildings & Grounds
- Steve Clarke – Assistant Superintendent, Teaching & Learning
- Mark Dalton – Director, Food Services
- Kristi Dominguez – Director, Early Childhood
- Kurt Gazow – Executive Director, Educational Technology
- Curtis Lawyer – Capital Projects Manager
- Steve Morse – Director, Teaching & Learning
- Tanya Rowe – Executive Director, Communications & Community Relations
- Jeff Tetrick – Director, Career & Technical Education
- Leslie Adamson – Teacher, Options
- Jami Aeschliman – Teacher, Options
- Chris Cochran – Counselor, Options
- Lynn Cooper – Secretary and Paraeducator, Options
- Dawson Gebhart – Freshman, Options
- Samantha Haley – Teacher, Options
- Jay Jordan – Principal, Shuksan Middle School
- Dawn Kearney – Secretary, Options
- Jon Phipps – Senior, Options
- Jeff Thran – Teacher, Kulshan Middle School
- Riannon Bardsley – Community Member
- Keri Bean – Community Member/Neighbor
- James Everett – Parent, Whatcom Middle School & Squalicum High School
- Mary Keane – Parent, Fairhaven Middle School & Sehome High School
- Lin Nelson – Community Member
- Terry Brown – Zervas Architect
- Andrew Krzysiek – Zervas Architect
- Sharon Robinson – Zervas Architect
- Victoria Bergsagel – Educational Design Strategist
- Regular meeting attendance
- Respectful and collaborative interactions with committee members
- Provide substitutes for staff as applicable