- Review the current state of visual and performing arts (VPA) program in Bellingham Public Schools.
- Explore the nature of program offerings/experiences in schools/districts with reputed “high quality” approaches to VPA teaching and learning.
- Compare current Bellingham Public Schools approaches to VPA teaching and learning with those “best examples.” Critically examine the similarities and differences.
- Advise the superintendent on efforts to continue to improve our district’s programmatic offerings/approach/experiences in the visual and performing arts for all students PreK-12.
Basis for Establishment:
- Programmatic review and future program development guidance
- Committee will develop and recommend programmatic direction/initiatives in the visual and performing arts that can provide guidance for district efforts over the next three to five years
- Committee recommendations are advisory to the superintendent
Plan of Work:
- A series of four (4) three-hour meetings will be held over the course of the early winter months of 2014
- Meeting 1: Taking stock of current VPA programs/experiences K-12
- Meeting 2: Exploring Dimensions of “Best Examples” in VPA programs experiences located in other schools/districts
- Meeting 3: Comparing our district’s VPA offerings/experiences to those revealed in the exploration of “Best Examples.” Similarities and differences.
- Meeting 4: Develop/Design programmatic direction/advice for the superintendent to guide decision-making in VPA over the next 3-5 years.
- Meeting 5: (TBD if needed)
- Mike Copland, Deputy Superintendent, Chair
- Charisse Berner, Director, Dept. of Teaching and
- Karen Benson, Parent, Lowell
- Jeff Coulter, Principal, Whatcom Middle
- AnnMarie DeCollibus, Art Teacher, Bellingham High
- Kirstin Doud, Music Specialist, Sehome High
- Tom Gresham, Principal, Roosevelt
- Teri Grimes, Drama Teacher, Bellingham High
- Carolyn Heywood, Art Teacher, Shuksan Middle
- Tom Kunesh, Parent, Bellingham High
- Andy Marshall, Music Specialist, Squalicum High
- Terri McKee, Music Specialist, Roosevelt
- Keith Schacht, Principal, Squalicum High
- Mark Schlichting, Community Member
- Travis Sipher, Music Specialist, Kulshan and Shuksan Middle
- Laura Smith, Music Specialist, Geneva
- Alison Terry, Community
- Ryan Williams, Art Teacher, Kulshan and Fairhaven Middle
- Attend all sessions; participate fully in the dialogue
- Communicate and make public all meeting agendas and minutes
- Communicate and make public findings from the review
- Make recommendations regarding programmatic directions for visual and performing arts to the superintendent, who will share with all stakeholders
- Four meetings from 4 to 7 p.m. (and holding a fifth timeslot if needed)
- February 18, 2014
- March 4, 2014
- March 18, 2014
- March 25, 2014
- May 13, 2014
- After hours curriculum rate pay for teachers involved in the committee meetings (budget line exists in the 2013-14 DTL budget to cover costs)