- Conduct an internal review of current Response to Intervention (RtI) practices across Bellingham Public Schools.
- Develop common understandings of Response to Intervention across the PreK-5 system with a focus on literacy (Phase 1)
- Develop a recommendation by June 2015, expand capacity and ability to respond to instruction including behavior and math during the next three to five years.
Basis for Establishment:
- Further enact the collective commitment in The Bellingham Promise to educate all students at high levels.
- Develop consistency of support for all learners (students and teachers) through an aligned, differentiated, data-driven approach.
- Adhere to the federal and state laws, implement best practice research and the district strategic plan to prioritize high quality teaching differentiated to meet the unique needs of every student.
- Recommending group to the superintendent and executive team.
Plan of Work:
- Publicize group and share with stakeholders
- Meeting #1: Set mission for Year 1: review research toward drafting of a vision defining RtI as the process of learning for all.
- Meeting #2: Continue review of best practices identifying additional information desired Meeting
- #3: Data analysis continued
- Meeting #4: Draft completion of district process for students and for teachers
- Meeting #5: Draft recommendation for input from others
- #6: Use of input to refine recommendation and continuation of research toward RtI supports
- Share recommendations (initial and long-term) with superintendent, executive team and Department of Teaching and Learning
- Plan for implementation of recommendations for fall 2015
- Work resumes with broader represented team in fall 2015 adding behavior component PreK-5. Math and further extensions will be added as the committee members/facilitators determine readiness and capacity.
- Keep stakeholders informed throughout the process
- Dawn Christiana: Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA), P-5 Literacy, co-chair
- Mike Haberman: Director, Dept. of Teaching and Learning, co-chair
- Stephanie Korn: Director, Dept. of Teaching and Learning, co-chair
- Pam Pottle: Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA), P-5 Literacy
- Trina Hall: Principal, Sunnyland Elementary
- Nicole Talley: Principal, Silver Beach Elementary
- Amy Carder: Director, Dept. of Teaching and Learning
- Jeanette Grisham: Assistant Principal, Bellingham High School
- Jan Dustrude: Special Education Teacher
- James Walsh: Special Education Teacher
- Maria Griggs: TEacher on Special Assigment (TOSA), Highly Capable Program
- Krysten Wagner: Literacy Support Teacher, Northern Heights Elementary
- John Kane-Ronning: Literacy Interventionist, Carl Cozier Elementary
- Lisa D’Hondt: Literacy Intervention Teacher, Sunnyland Elementary
- Brian Hoelzen: School Psychologist, Columbia Elementary, Geneva Elementary, Kulshan Middle School
- Yana Mansfield: ELL Specialist, Columbia Elementary, Cordata Elementary
- Andrea Quigley: ELL Specialist, Northern Heights Elementary
- Carissa Jangard: Special Education Teacher, Wade King Elementary
- Stephanie Johnson: Teacher, Wade King Elementary
- Liane Koester: Teacher, Lowell Elementary
- Katherine Kortlever: Teacher, Geneva Elementary
- Sara Buetow: Community Representative
- Victoria Bressette-Reeb: Secretary, Sehome High School
- Charlton Tarver: Community Representative
- Jessie Burton: Parent Representative
- Nicole Seegers: Parent Representative
- Marsha Riddle Buly: WWU Woodring, ad hoc
- Attend all sessions to engage in learning about RtI as a process with the perspective of group representation
- Adhere to group norms for effective collaboration and decision-making
- Communicate learning and information to constituents as collaboratively determined
- Read material or complete tasks between sessions for participation in each meeting
Timeline: All meetings are from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Publicize December 2014
Meeting #1: Jan. 7, 2015 – Meeting Minutes , Attachment , Attachment  Meeting #2: Feb. 11, 2015 – Meeting Minutes 
Meeting #3: March 4, 2015 – Meeting Minutes 
Meeting #4: March 25, 2015 – Meeting Minutes 
Meeting #5: April 15, 2015 – Meeting Minutes , Attachment , Attachment , Meeting #6: May 6, 2015
Recommendation shared 
- No substitutes required
- Secretary flex-time for note taking