- Take stock of the current state of PreK-12 world language program in Bellingham Public Schools.
- Explore the nature of program offerings/experiences in schools/districts with reputed “high quality” approaches to world language teaching and learning.
- Compare current Bellingham Public School approaches to those “best examples” and crucially examine the similarities and differences.
- Develop recommendations to improve our district’s world language PreK-12 program over the next 3-5 years.
Basis for Establishment:
- Further the efforts of the Bellingham Promise to develop students and graduates who are multilingual readers and writers.
- Provide guidance for future program development.
- Our district desires and research supports the opportunity for students to engage in world language learning starting at an early age.
- Committee will develop and recommend programmatic direction/initiatives in world language that can provide guidance for district efforts over the next 3-5 years.
- Committee recommendations are advisory to the superintendent.
Plan of Work:
A series of four (4) two and a half hour meetings will be held in from 4-6:30 p.m..
- Meeting 1: Review scope of work, review previous Task Force recommendations, take stock of current program offerings and experiences to identify current reality, identify exemplary programs and plan for potential site visits.
- Meeting 2: Review current research in world language landscape , explore best practices to establish desired state, establish principles to use as a filter and rationale for what we want, plan for an opportunity to engage parents with focus groups or surveys.
- Meeting 3: Gap analysis- comparing our district’s world language offerings/experiences to those of the desired state.
- Meeting 4: Develop recommendations for programmatic direction to guide decision making over the next 3-5 years.
- Stephanie Korn, Director, Dept. of Teaching and Learning, co-chair
- Rob McElroy, Executive Team, co-chair
- Annie Franzmann, First Grade Teacher, Birchwood Elementary
- Kristi Dominguez, Early Learning Coordinator
- Analisa Ficklin, Principal, Wade King Elementary
- Sally Unger, Spanish Teacher, Shuksan Middle School
- Larisa Shuvalova, ELL Specialist, Kulshan Middle School and Bellingham HSl
- Diane Cooper-Schick, Spanish and German Teacher, Squalicum High School
- Sonya Morrison, French Teacher, Sehome High School
- Wendy Barrett, Principal, Northern Heights Elementary
- Byron Gerard, Principal, Options High School
- Dean Hagin, Parent of Wade King and Fairhaven Students
- Ming Lin, Parent of Happy Valley and Fairhaven Students
- Mariam Rashid, Parent of Carl Cozier Student
- Maria Rodriquez, Parent of Sehome High School Student
- Mark Gardner, Parent of Columbia and Whatcom Students
- Dana Ringler, Sehome High School Student
- Oriana LoCicero, Bellingham High School Student
- Attend meetings and participate fully
- Adhere to group norms for collaborative process
- Contribute to and support the creation of recommendation
- Communicate and make public all meeting agendas and minutes
- Nov. 5: Call for applications
- Nov. 14: Application period closes
- Nov. 26: Notification of applicants
- Four meetings from 4 to 6:30 p.m.
- Budget line exists in the 2014-15 DTL budget to cover costs.