- Establish a set of guidelines to assist in the decision-making processes related to the addition, modification, and expansion of new and existing playgrounds.
- Safe, functional, durable, equitable, and inclusive outdoor play environments are an integral part of a school districts obligation to provide well-balanced educational and developmental opportunities. Playgrounds contribute towards physical, cognitive, emotional, and social learning experiences for children. The goal of this committee is to provide a guideline that meets the needs of all our community’s children.
Basis for Establishment:
- Providing a playground standards guideline that informs the design, procurement, and installation of new and existing playground equipment and play surfaces at our schools.
- This includes new school projects, remodel/improvement projects, and entire/partial playground equipment replacement projects.
- A standards guideline allows for decisions to be made efficiently without compromising safety, functionality, durability, equity, or inclusion goals.
- We are a recommending body to the superintendent.
Plan of Work and Timeline:
- The committee will work to develop a Playground Standards guideline for recommendation to the superintendent.
- Work on the guidelines will begin March 2021 with a goal of having guidelines in place to guide the design, fabrication, procurement, and installation of new playground equipment and play surfaces at Alderwood and Parkview elementary schools before the start of the 2021-22 school year which begins Sept. 1, 2021.
- Five meetings are anticipated. The committee will meet from 3:30 to 5 p.m. on April 13, April 20, April 27, May 4 and May 11. More meetings may be added after May 11 if needed.
- Focus groups and field trips may be included in the team’s work
- Curtis Lawyer, Director of Capital Projects, co-chair
- Jessica Sankey, Executive Director of Operations, co-chair
- Kristi Dominguez, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
- Mylo Allen, principal at Parkview Elementary
- Amy Berreth, principal at Sunnyland Elementary
- Micah Smith, principal at Alderwood Elementary
- Margaret Gude, communications specialist
- Ali Bonner, counselor, Columbia
- Nic Castona, physical education, Parkview
- Rodolfo Riviere, physical education, Birchwood
- Meredith Gant, Life Skills teacher, Cordata
- Sarah Catudio, Life Skills teacher, Wade King
- Jenny Brice, occupational therapist
- Cindy Pearson, physical therapist
- Corbin Anderson, physical therapist
- Jen Mallet, developmental preschool, Happy Valley
- Debbie Haney, early learning specialist
- Trevor Aeschliman, BPS playground specialist
- Corey Ayers, capital projects manager
- Brian Smart, capital projects manager
- Kristine Wilson, Opportunity Council
- Patty Yunge, parent, Wade King
- Kristi Wyandt-Varela, parent, Carl Cozier
- Gina Austin, project engineer, City of Bellingham
- Jonathan Schilk, landscape architect, City of Bellingham
- Joshua Cloud, OAC Services
- Regular meeting attendance.
- Respectful and collaborative interactions with committee members.
- Provide substitutes for staff as applicable.