Purpose(s)/Goal: The Special Education Parent Advisory Committee is comprised of parent representatives from each school. They meet with the special education district leadership and other district staff on a monthly basis during the school year. Members work together to:
- Identify common needs and goals among the parents of students receiving special education services, and facilitate strategies to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of their respective school programs.
- Provide monthly district updates to parents regarding current issues in special education such as staffing, budgeting, curriculum, facilities, etc.
- Provide consistent opportunities for training on relevant and timely issues/topics.
- Bring to the district’s attention existing and emerging issues expressed by parents at the school they represent.
- Serve as an advisory, not a decision-making body that encourages brainstorming and effective problem solving, regarding the Special Education Program.
- The basis for establishment of the advisory group is to increase opportunities for family engagement and collaboration.
- This group includes representative parents from each school to meet with district staff on a monthly basis to discuss a variety of topics, share information and broaden understanding of school-related issues.
- This group will make any necessary decisions based on a consensus of those present and primarily serve in an advisory capacity.
- Attend Meetings
- Actively Participate
- Plan Trainings
- Maintain Confidentiality
- There will be an occasional need to cover the cost of a substitute for teachers to attend and participate
- Deputy Superintendent
- Executive Director of Teaching and Learning
- Executive Director of Communications and Community Relations
All meetings occur from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the District Office, 1306 Dupont Street, in the Board Room, unless noted. Meetings for this school year are scheduled as follows with minutes included.
2019-20 School Year
- December 11 – Agenda
- January 29
- March 25
- May 27