- For phase 2 fields, provide input and recommendations for the design elements (e.g. field markings, lighting, fencing, seating, etc.) associated with synthetic turf field installations at Squalicum (SQHS) high school.
Basis for Establishment:
- As part of the bond approved by voters on Nov. 5, 2013 some existing grass fields at Bellingham and Squalicum high schools were replaced with new synthetic turf fields (Phase 1). The bond approved by voters on Feb. 13, 2018 provided funds to replace the remaining grass fields at Bellingham and Squalicum with new synthetic turf fields (Phase 2).
- Phase 2 will replace the existing grass baseball, softball, PE/soccer/football fields with new synthetic turf.
- Advisory to the superintendent.
Plan of Work and Timeline:
- Work together to advise on the necessary design elements associated with the phase 2 fields
- Help communicate and gather input as (staff, students, community/parents)
- Meet two times: April 8 and 15 (other meetings as needed) 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Neighborhood/community project open house after we finish our work
Meeting Dates/Minutes: 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- April 8, 2019 – Agenda, Minutes
- April 15, 2019 – Agenda, Minutes
- May 16, 2019 – Neighborhood meeting – Agenda, Minutes
- Miguel Perez, Squalicum High School principal, co-chair
- Ron Cowan, Executive Director of Capital Projects and School Facilities, co-chair
- Patrick Brown, Squalicum High School athletic coordinator
- Mike Anderson, Director of Buildings and Grounds
- Matt Read, Utility Grounds
- Curtis Lawyer, Capital Projects Manager
- Devante Powell, Squalicum student athlete
- Steve Andersen, Squalicum parent
- Maureen Rowland, Squalicum parent
- Kevin Fry, baseball coach
- Sydney Taggert, fastpitch coach
- Ben Zakheim, fastpitch coach
- Joe McAuliffe, boys soccer coach
- Jose Rodriguez, girls soccer coach
- Rob Zabel, physical education teacher