- Review the standard elementary level educational specifications for the Bellingham Public Schools that apply to all new elementary schools in the district which were developed during spring 2018. These specifications are used to describe the district’s elementary school program; and
- Recommend possible revisions to the elementary level educational specifications due to specific program requirements associated with Sunnyland Elementary School; and
- Following the completion of the elementary educational specifications, review and provide feedback on schematic and design development drawings for the Sunnyland Elementary rebuild project.
Basis for establishment:
- Prior to designing a school, a complete and accurate description of the desired educational program, instructional activities, as well as the functional, spatial and environmental needs related to the school must be established. This detailed description is referred to as educational specifications. Educational specifications help clarify and direct the scope of work and design requirements for the architects, engineers, and other professionals working on the building design and site plan.
- We are a recommending body to the superintendent.
Plan of work/timeline:
- The committee will work with the architects on the educational specifications and design elements related to the school.
- Work on the educational specifications will begin in December 2019 and continue through the winter/spring 2020. Schematic design for the new school will be completed before the end of the 2019-20 school year.
- Sunnyland Educational Specifications/Design Advisory Committee meetings will focus on site/building specific unique items associated with the new Sunnyland Elementary.
- 4-6 meetings (2 hours each) are anticipated.
- Meetings will be held on Wednesdays from 3-5 p.m. Dec. 4, Dec. 18, Jan. 8, Jan. 22, Feb. 5 and Feb. 19.
- Evening Community Meetings; dates and times TBD
- Additional meetings as necessary; dates and times TBD
- Dec. 4
- Dec. 18
- Jan. 8
- Jan. 22
- Feb. 5
- Feb. 19
- Lynn Heimsoth, Sunnyland Principal, Co-Chair
- Curtis Lawyer, Director of Capital Projects, Co-Chair
- Zach Ham, Dykeman Architects
- Four certificated staff
- Six Sunnyland student/parent/community members (Current and future Sunnyland parents are welcome.)
- Two classified staff
- District Leaders from Communications and Community Relations, Food Services, Early Childhood, Special Education, Educational Technology, Buildings and Grounds, Capital Projects, Safety and Emergency Management
- Representative(s) from the City of Bellingham
- Regular meeting attendance.
- Respectful and collaborative interactions with committee members.
- Provide substitutes for staff as applicable.