Risk Management focuses on providing a safe environment for students and staff by assessing, minimizing and preventing accidental loss to the district. Risk Management is responsible for the following areas:
- Coordinating workers’ compensation claims through the Department of Labor and Industries (L&I)
- Supporting and assisting injured employees in the processing of their claims and in safe and timely return to work
- Investigating and preventing employee and student accidents
- Conducting/coordinating various employee safety training
- Analyzing risk associated with employee and student activities
- Processing district liability, property, auto and student accident insurance claims
- Overseeing the Occupational Safety and Accident Prevention Committee
The Bellingham School District will have all workers’ compensation claims handled by the State Department of Labor and Industries.
The Zachery Lystedt Law was signed by Governor Gregoire on July 26, 2009 directing the education of coaches, players and parents on the recognition and management of concussions as well as establishing return to play protocol for all youth athletes suspected of or having a concussion or brain injury. For more information about concussions and concussion management guidelines, visit the W.I.A.A. website. You can also download a copy of the Concussion information sheet which is required for district sports activities.