Bellingham Public Schools serves approximately 12,000 students who attend one of our 22 schools comprised of four high schools, four middle schools and 14 elementary schools. Join our facilities team to help ensure every student has a safe and supportive environment to learn.
Facilities and Sustainability has a variety of jobs we hire for including:
- Grounds and Maintenance Utility
- Maintenance Laborer
- Maintenance Laborer Seasonal
- Maintenance Specialist
- Building Automation Technician/HVAC
- Trade jobs: carpenter, painter, electrician, plumber, equipment repair
Many of our team members enjoy the flexibility and variety that comes with these positions.
- Weekends off
- Work where you live
- Paid holidays*
- Health benefits*
- Vision and dental insurance*
*Permanent team member benefits. Staff are eligible for benefits if they are contracted for 630 or more hours per year.
Minimum qualifications vary by job. Please refer to the job description for the position for full details.
For custodial openings:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Vocational or technical training in custodial trades preferred.
- At least one (1) year experience in either a public or commercial custodial position
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, administration, and the general public.
- Ability to lift, shove, pull, push, and carry objects weighing at least fifty (50) pounds.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use good judgment in accessing, prioritizing, scheduling, and completing custodial work.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the school board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Custodial experience is welcome but not required. We will train you on the job!
Hear from our team:
“I believe we are all support staff. We are all here to support the teachers. We give them everything we can so they can do their job to engage and enhance children’s lives. Every day is different and that’s the beauty in it. We all have a basic idea of what we are going to do every day, but some days I repair shoes and charm bracelets. I like that bit of it. That’s fun for me and I like to help solve people’s problems.” Doug Vit, Head Custodian at Fairhaven Middle School
“Your environment can have a big effect on your ability to learn and concentrate. Most people here have embraced The Bellingham Promise and that every child should be loved and have the opportunity to reach their educational potential. I really love working here.” – Keith Allex, Journeyman Painter