Title: AVID Tutor (Advancement via Individual Determination)
Where: Bellingham middle and high schools
When: Duration of school year, Monday-Friday, various times depending on school
Commitment: 1-Two hour shift per week
- Take an active role in developing the academic and personal strengths of AVID students
- Serve as a role model/mentor to AVID students by being a lifelong learner, demonstrating appropriate academic and social behaviors
- Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming, clustering, revision, and editing
- Communicate frequently and honestly with the AVID coordinator/teacher regarding student progress and areas of concern
Training and Supervision: Training and supervision provided by AVID staff.
Personal Qualities required:
- Ability to work with students from varied backgrounds, age groups and skill levels
- Good communication skills
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for AVID students to follow
Notes: All volunteers must complete the BPS volunteer application, pass a WATCH check and interview/train with school staff.
For more information: Jennifer Gaer, Volunteer Coordinator 360-647-6848