Bellingham Public Schools

Title I & Learning Assistance Programs

Department Owner: 

Title I and Learning Assistance Programs provide supplemental reading and/or math support for selected students and schools. These programs serve specific schools that meet the criteria set by the federal and state governments.

Title I:  

OSPI's Parent Guide: What Is Title I?

Title I in Bellingham Public Schools:  

In the Bellingham Public Schools we have six elementary schools that receive Federal Title I, Part A funds - Alderwood, Birchwood, Carl Cozier, Cordata, Roosevelt, and Sunnyland. 

Annual Notifications:

Title I & Parent Involvement:

Family Engagement is one of our key strategies in The Bellingham Promise.  We strive to partner with families through parent involvement activities, open communication, and welcoming schools. 

Services for Homeless Students:   

Title I services are provided to students in non-Title I schools who qualify as homeless status and are in need of additional academic support. Donna Ringwald (676-6891) manages our Title I Homeless Services and can be contacted by phoning the Title I Department at 676-6542.

Title I & Private Schools:   

As per federal regulations, Title I funds are used to support the academic needs of qualifying students enrolled at private schools.  Private schools must opt to participate in the program. All private schools are notifed annually with information on how to indicate their intent to participate.  Polly Johnson (676-6542) can be contacted for additional information. 

District & School Report Cards:

  • Links to School Report Cards can be found on each school's website
  • Links to District Report Card
  • NAEP
  • Annual Measurable Objectives (AMO)
  • Schools Identified as Priority, Focus, Emerging:  We are forrtunate to not have any Bellingham Public Schools identified as Priority, Focus or Emerging. 

Complaint Process - File a Citizen's Complaint:

OSPI has a written formal complaint process for resolving issues of violation of a Title I Federal regulation. If you have a concern with Title I services and/or regulations we encourage you to contact your child's Title I teaching team, your school's principal and/or the district's Title I office (676-6542). You can also access the Citizen's Complaint Process through the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) in Olympia.  The link below has all of the information for filing a complaint through OSPI.   


State Learning Assistance Program (LAP) funds in the Bellingham Public Schools are used to provide supplemental reading services to qualifying students in grades K- 4. Students who are not yet at standard in reading benefit from the following supplemental, LAP funded services:

Elementary LAP Reading Support:

Each elementary school has a part time reading support person for working with students to support their reading development.  The elementary LAP Reading Teachers provide supplemental instruction for striving readers.  The intervention materials used for much of this instruction is Fountas and Pinnell's  Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) curriuclum

Community Partnerships:

LAP funds are also used to support Community Partnerships.  The Bellingham Public Schools - Western Washington University Collective Impact initiative strives to bring together community stakeholders and resources in an effort to bridge opportunity gaps by enhancing support and increasing opportunities for children in our schools.

Middle School & High School LAP Reading Support:   

Each middle school offers Scholastic's Read 180 curriculum as a part of their differentiated support for striving readers.  American Reading curriculum is also used in some middle school reading support classes. Squalicum High School also offers Read 180.  For questions regarding Read 180 please contact Kiersten Barr. She can be best reached by phoning 676-5752.

Read 180

Questions regarding the use of LAP funds can be directed to Stephanie Korn at 676-6470, ext. 4401.