Registering your child for school
For students who have not previously enrolled in Bellingham Public Schools you will need:
- Your child’s birth certificate or other official verification of age such as a passport, visa or DSHS Medicaid Voucher,
- Proof of residency (your address), acceptable proof includes government issued documents, lease or rental agreement, utility bills,
- Immunization records.
There are 14 elementary schools in Bellingham, all with full-time kindergarten programs. Kindergarten registration begins in March every year. To register your child for school, please complete our online registration process.
Children must be 5 before Sept. 1 to attend kindergarten. Kindergarten tours and open houses begin in May. Check with your school office for early entrance opportunities. Click here to locate your neighborhood school.
What you need for registration:
- Your child’s birth certificate to verify date of birth and legal name
- Medically verified immunization records
- Proof of residency
Before a student can attend school, parents must provide proof of full immunization, proof that a schedule of immunization has been started or a certificate of exemption. Immunization must be provided against diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus, polio, mumps, measles, rubella, hepatitis B and varicella.
Immunizations protect the health of your child, and the health of others. State law requires that children entering Kindergarten must have certain immunizations. For Kindergarten entry:
- 2 doses of Varicella (Chickenpox) given on or after 1st birthday and received at least 28 days apart OR Blood test (titer) showing immunity to Varicella OR health care provider diagnosis is acceptable. Parent reported history of disease is NO longer acceptable
- 5 doses of DTP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis)
5th dose must be given on or after 4th birthday or 4 doses are acceptable, if 4th dose was given on or after the 4th birthday.
- 4 doses of Polio – 4th dose must be given on or after 4th birthday or 3 doses are acceptable, if 3rd dose was given on or after the 4th birthday.
- 2 doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) given on or after 1st birthday and received at least 28 days apart OR Blood test (titer) showing immunity to Measles, Mumps, or Rubella is acceptable
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B; dose 3 must be given on or after 24 weeks of age.