2022 Facilities Bond Facts for Jan. 11
Dear staff, families, students and community,
Voters will decide on a bond on Feb. 8 regarding facilities for Bellingham Public Schools.
This bond includes the highest priority needs that were identified by a districtwide task force this fall. There are many facts to share related to the bond. We will be sending regular emails until Election Day, Feb. 8 with quick facts and talking points for you to digest and share as you see fit. Visit this webpage for more information.
Two areas of investment in the 2022 facilities bond include:
- Community Transitions (CT): Buy property, design and build a new facility for CT and maximize flexibility/opportunity for possible use by other district programs. Community Transitions is a long-standing program for students receiving Special Education services through the age of 21 and is currently housed at Bellingham High School.
Please watch this video to learn more about CT and its space constraints.
- Safety, Sustainability and Accessibility: Invest in improvements at numerous schools that include:
- Adding inclusive playgrounds and play fields
- Expanding Kulshan Middle School by four additional classrooms and replacing existing grass field with turf
- Improving Cordata Elementary School traffic and parking
- Increasing resource efficiency and minimize the effects of energy and water consumption and dependence on fossil fuels
- Creating more visible sustainability practices in schools to increase education and stewardship.
These are just some of the projects funded by the proposed bond. Please get more details about other planned projects and financial implications on our website or check out our progress on facilities projects built from past bonds.
If you have questions about the bond, feel free to contact the Department of Communications and Community Relations, 360-676-6520.
Thank you and remember to vote in February! Look for your ballots in the mail later this month.