3140 Policy – Release of Resident Students

A student who resides within the boundaries of the district will be released to 1) attend another school district, or 2) enroll for ancillary services, if any, in another district as specified in the parental declaration of intent to provide home-based instruction, provided the other district agrees to accept the student if:


  1. A financial, educational, safety or health condition affecting the student would be reasonably improved as a result of the transfer;
  2. Attendance at the school in the nonresident district is more accessible to the parent’s place of work or to the location of child care;
  3. There is some other special hardship or detrimental condition affecting the student or the student’s immediate family which would be alleviated as a result of the transfer. Special hardship or detrimental conditions include a student who becomes a resident of the district in mid-year. Such a student may apply for a release to complete the current school year only in his or her former district of residence, if transferring mid-year would create a special hardship or detrimental condition;
  4. The purpose of the transfer is for the student to enroll in an online course or online school program offered by an online provider approved under RCW 28A.250.020; or
  5. The student is a child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee.


In all cases in which a resident student is released, the student or the student’s parent(s) will be solely responsible for transportation, except that a student may ride on an established district bus route if the superintendent determines that the district would incur no additional cost.

A parent or guardian will request the release of his/her child by completing the appropriate district form including the basis for the request and the signature of the superintendent, or his or her designee, of the school district which the student will attend.

The superintendent, or designee, will grant or deny the request for release according to the above-stated criteria, and promptly notify the parent in writing of his/her decision.

If the request is granted, the superintendent, or designee,will notify the nonresident district and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records.

If the request for release is denied, the superintendent, or designee,will inform the parent or guardian in writing of the right to appeal such decision to the superintendent of public instruction.

Each school district annually will inform parents of the district’s interdistrict enrollment options and parental involvement opportunities. Information on interdistrict acceptance policies will be provided to nonresidents on request. Providing online access to the information satisfies the requirements of this policy unless a parent or guardian specifically requests information to be provided in written form.

Approved By: Greg Baker
Adopted/Previous Revisions: 05/25/95; 01/23/15
Updated: 10/19/17
Superintendent or Board Approved: Superintendent Approved
Legal References: Content

RCW 28A.225.220, Adults, children from other districts, agreements for attending school —Tuition

RCW 28A.225.225, Enrolling Children of Certificated and Classified School Employees

RCW 28A.225.230,  Appeal from certain decisions to deny student’s request to attend nonresident district — Procedure

RCW 28A.225.290, Enrollment options information booklet

RCW 28A.225.300, Enrollment options information to parents

Management Resources: Content

Policy News, June 2003, Enrolling Children of School Employees

Policy News, February 2001    Federal Budget Implicates Policy