6213 Procedure – Reimbursement for Travel Expenses

Travel Request

All travel requests must be approved by the staff member’s immediate supervisor. Out of state travel must be approved by their immediate supervisor prior to submission in writing to the superintendent (Form 6213F-1).


Reimbursement of Expenses

Reimbursement for all travel must be submitted on a Travel/Expense Reimbursement (Form 6213F-2).

Reimbursement of mileage in a personal vehicle inside the district must be submitted on a Local Travel Reimbursement (Form 6213F-3).

Only those expenses incurred by the person submitting the request may be reimbursed.


Reimbursable Expenses

Expense Reimbursement Rate Documentation Required
Lodging Reasonable rates Itemized receipt required
Meals Per Diem No receipt required
Airline, Train, Bus Fare Coach rate Itemized receipt required
Taxi, Parking, Toll Reasonable rates Itemized receipt required
Mileage – Personal Car Current IRS rate No receipt required



A. Lodging: Travel destinations located within a 50-mile radius of the district office are not eligible for lodging reimbursement. If the travel destination is further than 50 miles, actual reasonable expense per day will be paid. Itemized receipts are required. Lodging will be reimbursed for district personnel or designee of the district only. If traveling with a spouse, the single room rate must be provided.


B. Meals: An individual is eligible for meal per diem if they are in travel status more than 3 hours outside of Bellingham School District boundaries. Breakfast per diem is not reimbursed the first day of travel. In addition, the individual must be in travel status at 7:00 p.m. to qualify for dinner per diem. Lunch per diem will be allowed if the individual is in travel status over the normal lunch period. Reimbursement for meal expenses is not to be authorized when an employee does not incur expenses for meals because they are furnished, either by the host facility or as a part of the registration fee. Receipts are not required for meal per diem.


Meals incurred during travel are reimbursed at the published GSA (US General Services Administration) rate for Everett. For circumstances associated with travel outside of the continental United States, or unique high-cost areas, business services may use the current GSA rate for that area of travel, or may determine modified rates.


Extended Travel


If an employee extends travel beyond the time required for the meeting or district business for personal reasons, or includes a non-employee in their travel itinerary, those travel expenses will need to be paid personally and only the costs associated with the meeting or district business will be reimbursed on a Travel/Expense Reimbursement Form. Proof of travel must be furnished after date of travel has passed. If travel plans are cancelled or changed for any reason, employee must notify the Business Office immediately. Any expenses, or part thereof, reimbursed in advance of travel must be repaid to the district.


When airfare is involved, the employee must attach an airfare comparison to the Travel/Expense Reimbursement Form. The comparison should be made on the same day the extended travel flight is booked, using the dates and times associated with the conference. The district will reimburse the employee that amount or the amount paid, whichever is less.


Non-Reimbursable Expenses

  1. Alcoholic beverages and meals or snacks other than regular meals,
  2. Personal phone calls and postage,
  3. Mileage to and from home,
  4. Mileage for school levy promotions and other non-school functions,
  5. Entertainment,
  6. Lodging within the 50-mile radius of the district office,
  7. Expenses incurred by non-employees traveling with the staff member, including room surcharges, and
  8. Travel insurance, rental car insurance, optional airplane seat selection and priority boarding, excess baggage charges.
Adopted/Previous Revisions: 05/29/07; 6/26/08; 01/09/09; 04/01/15; 08/11/15; 03/23/16; 01/26/18; 1/20/19;
Updated: 8/27/19