About Promise K
Promise K is a transitional kindergarten program for 4-year-olds who do not have access to early learning experiences.
Children may enter Promise K based on ability and/or need, such as, social emotional or developmental needs.
Promise K is one of many early learning programs in our community. For more information about community programs, please visit our early learning community partners web page or contact Gladys Serrano.
Qualifying for Promise K
- On Sept. 1, 2023, the child is at least 4 and not yet 5 years old. (5-year-olds can register for traditional kindergarten, and this registration will open in March 2023.)
- The child has not had access to early learning experiences, such as a licensed preschool program, due to availability or other factors.
- The child resides within the boundaries of Bellingham Public Schools.
- The family completes an application and screening process.
- During screening process, the child demonstrates developmental needs, social needs or other needs that could be supported in Promise Kindergarten.
Program dates and times:
Promise K is a full school year program, and the first full day will likely be in early September 2023. Family conferences will be scheduled prior to your child’s first day of Promise K. Promise K students attend the same daily schedule as our elementary schools and follow the school district calendar for school days, early dismissals and holidays. Promise K does not continue during the summer.
If you believe your child qualifies and you are interested in enrolling them into our Promise K program, please fill out the online application. We also invite you to share this information with friends and neighbors who may also have a child within Bellingham Public Schools boundaries who qualifies for Promise K.
If you have any questions, please contact Gladys Serrano in the Department of Teaching and Learning or call 360-676-6488.
View our Promise K video below.